Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Journey of a Dreamer (Part V)



So I've put up the Swedish flag today for several reasons: I got a chance to meet two sisters from Sweden. They were both very friendly and spoke English extremely well. What I had learned was English is a foundation in ways to the swedish population as our culture has translated over the Atlantic and into Scandinavia. I also learned that the culture in Scandinavia is a unique one in that has such separation with the rest of Europe. The land of mountains, mackerel and movie stars. Ok, so there's more the Sweden than those three things of course, so no need to gasp in disappointment.

The movie aspect is what intrigues me the most, since so many successful movies have come from this country including several successful actors/actresses. Lest we forget, Ingrid Bergman, one of Hollywood's greatest actresses was born in Stockholm. The country is exuding culture in every way imaginable. I want to go here very much, but of course I won't cancel out the likes of Finland and Norway. Two equally interesting countries with such affluent and abundant cultures. I guess you could say I've garnered a love interest with Scandinavia.

Which brings me to the next part of this blog that has struck me now as an utter importance. I will plan to travel a lot this year. Some places close to home (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver [Canada I know, still close], Phoenix, San Diego) and then those far from home (Italy[Sicily], Scandinavia, Spain, Czech Republic). I would like to think that the reflection of the world as a whole is more than what the majority here in the U.S. would like you to believe. So I want to think differently and act differently to see the world for what it really has to offer and show me.

I definitely appreciate where I come from, and where I was raised played a key factor in my observance of things outside of that immediate "circle" that surrounded me in the town I lived in back in Florida before moving to San Francisco. That's what I get walking around the streets here is the culture. So many different neighborhoods with unique tastes and spins on that very culture I'm speaking of. It's all there to experience and it's great to have something to spin on while experience live here and trying to start up and get settled.

It'll all be done with patience and positivity. That's the most important things because no matter what happens, I can fall back on those two things and I'll be happy with where I'm at and be grateful for where I'm at also. And who knows, perhaps I'll find myself in the land of mountains, mackerel and Ingrid Bergman soon enough.

Lights...camera...action ladies and gentlemen, I'm ready for my close-up of the world.

Peace and Kelp.

-Paulus Singletary

No comments:

Post a Comment