Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Journey of a Dreamer (Part VIII)

One of the biggest realities that I faced when moving to a big city like San Francisco (take the meaning of "big" for however you'd like lol) was the fact I was essentially starting over. No real building blocks, just my imagination to build and create the foundation that would allow me to thrive within this city. When you've lived with your parents all of your life, you don't really know where to start for the most part. You tend to generalize everything that was done living at home with mom and dad that once you're thrown to the wolves (not really), you have to manifest a survival instinct like no other.

Things that you took for granted: Free rent, free laundry, free food, free internet, free television, free sleeping, free breathing......poof --- it's gone. From this point on, YOU determine every outcome of your daily life. From spending money for breakfast/lunch/dinner, to praying rent for a room/studio/apartment, or wasting money on clubs/bars/TV (yes I include TV as a waste of money; Netflix, enough said.) You no longer wake up lazily with putting one foot down at a time onto the floor, or maintaining the grace of a zombie while walking to the nearest washroom. Now comes the days of waking up frantically with both feet firmly planted onto the floor after a sudden bang of the alarm clock, and "power-walking" to the bathroom to inevitably shave yourself to something akin to a butcher cutting meat. 

I mean everything changes about your daily life, from your way of living to your thinking process. It's certainly been overwhelming at times for me, but I've been unwavering in my main goal to get a permanent place within the city. It's the idea that countless others have tried and succeeded (or failed) at. Luckily I didn't have to spend any money writing this blog today, due in part to the lovely free wifi,  courtesy of your local San Francisco café! [Side Note: Nearly all cafés in SF have free wifi, cool beans] It's a fun experience taking it all in with all that's happened these past two months and it's relieving to know that soon enough, I'll find myself in a place to call my own.

A place where I paid for rent, paid for my food, paid for my internet, paid for my permanent place as an official city resident. I like the sound of that...

In arguably the most expensive city in the United States, it's all worth it to live in this urban paradise. 

Peace and Kelp,

-Paulus Singletary

No comments:

Post a Comment